Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Tolog Review: A Girl's Life Online

A Girl's Life Online
by Katherine Tarbox
reviewed by Francesca Christensen

A Girl’s Life Online was an extremely captivating story and I was hooked within just the first few pages. The book was very fluid and traveled from chapter to chapter with ease. I did not feel like the story dragged on too long at any point, instead it was the perfect pace and length. Tarbox wrote her story in the first person which gave the audience an accurate account of her feelings and the reasons behind her actions. It was a very interesting perspective and it gave me a better understanding of the emotions of victims of sexual predators. The benefit of this viewpoint is demonstrated throughout the book especially during the conviction process when she expresses “it didn’t matter that he had openly lied about his name or age,” she “just wanted Mark back” (132). This perspective reveals to the readers that she was so convinced of his innocence due to the fact she felt like she truly new “Mark”. This trust lead her to make the decisions she did and ignore all of the red flags. Also, even though not all of the readers have not been in a situation similar to Katie’s, her story is very relatable. Tarbox is able to convey ideas such as difficulty fitting in, insecurity, loneliness, and confusing emotions on a relatable level even within her complicated situation. This allowed me to see similarities between Katie and myself and make connections between our lives. I would recommend this book to everyone. This story teaches very valuable lessons and installs an awareness in its readers. Not only would I strongly urge mothers and daughters to read this book, but I would also suggest it to boys of all ages. In my opinion, it is an important book for everyone to read and I believe that many people can benefit from Katherine Tarbox’s incredible story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment