Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

Mother-Daughter Librarians

My mom is suddenly a Librarian!

In Decatur, Illinois (my hometown), the high schools are under serious renovation.  It's about time, since I'm pretty sure Macarthur HS has not had a makeover since before I graduated way back in 1994.  It really doesn't look too much different from when my mom graduated in 1964, to tell the truth.

What it looked like when I went there.
The students and teachers have all been moved to a temporary facility until January, when they'll return to a brand-spanking-new building that will be awesome.

What it will look like after renovation
Until then, the school is in flux, and even more so because they are without a Librarian.  Can you imagine?  The horror!  

My amazing mother has been volunteering at the school library for the past year.  When the Librarian left and the school announced that they wouldn't hire another until returning to the new building, my mom stepped in.  What will the students do, she asked, without a functioning Library?  Where will they get books?  What about all the kids who love to read?  So, she called the school and arranged to keep the library open.  I'm so proud of her!  Here is where she stands when she's checking out books.


See the sign? "Substitute Librarian, Ms. Lucy Murphy".  And this is her Library.


Pretty nice, huh?  Well, I'm just thrilled.  In the morning, we talk on the phone and she tells me all about what books kids are checking out, and what it's like when teachers bring in their classes, and how long it takes to add all the new students to the computer system one by one.  We have the same job!  

Mostly I'm just proud as can be.  A high school should never be without a library, even during construction.  My mom knew that, and all the kids who are checking out books day after day are proof.  For some of us it's the best place on campus.  It's a refuge, or a welcome distraction, or a home.  So this is a shout out to my mom, the Librarian.  She rocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment