Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

Nafisi Challenge Update

This summer, I read six books for the Nafisi Challenge. How many did YOU read?  Even better, really, is that I met Azar Nafisi, authoress of Reading Lolita in Tehran.  Can you believe it?  I met her at the American Library Association conference where she spoke about her new book, The Republic of Imagination: American in Three Books. In her new book, she discusses Huck Finn, so juniors should take a look.

The coolest part about the event was that I got to tell her about the Nafisi Challenge.  She was thrilled, and I've since been tweeting with her a little bit, if you can believe it.  I am so star struck.  Here are some of our tweets:

See her response?  She wants OUR recommendations!  For those of you who read her book, what should we tell her to read?

I can't believe she likes this book!  Well, I can.  It's brilliant.  It's so exciting to have her respond to me about what I'm reading.

Ok, so here's what I say we do.
1. Keep reading the books for the Nafisi Challenge!
2. Keep suggesting books to discuss with Ms. Nafisi.
3. Find a way to bring her here to speak to our school!

Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment