Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Lenten Librarian 2.0: Mind/Body Librarianship

In solidarity with my school community, I am observing Lent for the second time in my life.  Last year I attempted a pretty high-concept Lenten observation (which you can read about if you search this blog for Lenten Librarian and scroll back to the beginning).  I think, for my first time, it was a little lofty.  Still, I'm not satisfied with the basic "giving something up" rubric for Lent.  My understanding is that this is to be a period of reflection, but also of transformation.  So, what can I (symbolically) 'give up' that will transform me in some way?
I couldn't find a picture of the old Avol's.  This is
Paul's Bookstore, which was also in Madison.
You get the idea.

My thoughts immediately go back to the first time I knew that I wanted to surround myself with books in order to make a living.  I was fortunate enough to work for two years at Avol's Bookstore in Madison, Wisconsin.  It was the greatest educational experience of my life.  I spent hours in aisles just like the one pictured here, handling every single book.  I would remove it from the shelf, look at the bookstore’s coded marking on the inside, last page.  I would decide if it had been in rotation too long, or perhaps if it should be shelved somewhere else so that more people would find it while browsing.  I put books in order, made signs, directed people to the one, obscure title they’d been looking for over weeks and months, maybe years.  I would clean the books with rubbing alcohol and lighter fluid (to remove stickiness) and categorize them for shelving.  I’d often avoid books that defied shelving, like The Secret Lives of Monastic Botanists in World War II Scandinavia (I ask you, where should that be shelved?).  I sniffed the books, both secretly and not so secretly.  I can tell, based on the coloration of the pages and the material used to make the binding, how a book might smell.  I love their smells, both old and new.

That job was physical as well as intellectual.  Working with those books meant dust and glue and torn pages, as much as it meant ideas and questions and puzzles presented and solved.  I loved it.
But I was young and antsy, and I moved to Chicago to work in a much less labyrinthine, less satisfying used bookstore.  And then I discovered teaching.  It was an accident, in a way.  That’s a longer story, filled with false starts as a graduate student in English and a volunteer gig at a charter school that went sour.  It did, however, lead me to try (and fail) to gain admission to the Teach for America program, after which I was more determined than ever to become a high school English teacher.  My very own high school English teacher had encouraged me to do so, and even though that suggestion I had set that idea aside when I discovered the wonders of my college course catalog, there was a part of me that was unsurprised to find I had come back to such a deeply-rooted desire (no doubt established in grade school when I had a “play grade book” and actually took attendance for my imaginary classes).

What does this have to do with Lent?
I’m getting there.

One thing led to another.  Teach for America’s rejection led me to move to Los Angeles, where I could teach and get my credential at the same time.  Getting a job in a middle school in South LA led to a dozen years of the most difficult and rewarding on-the-job training I can imagine.  Two relationships with school librarians led to the discovery that teaching + used bookstore clerk = School Librarian!  Then more graduate school, more training, more work in South LA, a brief period of embittered battle with LAUSD, and then, at last, FSHA! (See, I’m getting to the Lent bit.)

Here’s what I mean by mind-body librarianship:
This job is physical and intellectual.  I am privileged to be the keeper of the books, and I don’t always acknowledge to myself or to the school that this is one of the best things about our library.  It is filled with good-smelling, satisfyingly bound books.  It is a space in which we coexist, physically, on a daily basis.  I think if I try, I can cultivate the mind-body connection that our Library can (and should) provide to us all.

So, what am I giving up?  I’m giving up the foolish idea that my job is only intellectual in nature.  I’m giving up the tendency to spend more time in front of my laptop than in front of the books.  I’m giving up the habit of thinking that this physical space means less to our school community than I think it really does or could.

I will transform my practice into one of mind/body Librarianship by...doing what?  Well, maybe:
  • Changing the use of space in the Library (moving furniture? something less simple?)
  • Sniffing more books (join me! I’ll set aside the best ones)
  • Taking damaged books to a bindery to learn the process by which they are transformed
  • Introducing music to the Library during lunch or Enrichment (joining the physical experience of listening with the intellectual one of studying or reading)


And I don’t know what else.
I’m excited.

And a little nervous, but I think that’s the point.



No comments:

Post a Comment