Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Tolog Review: Snow Falling on Cedars

Snow Falling on Cedars 
by David Gunterson
reviewed by Megan Alle

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson is a suspenseful, romantic, and mysterious novel. “What a mystery life was! Everything was conjoined by mystery and fate, and in his darkened cell he meditated on this and it became increasingly clear to him. Impermanence, cause and effect, suffering, desire, the precious nature of life.”(Guterson 169). The author uses a contemplative tone in his writing. This quote is during Kabuos time in jail on San Piedro Island, a man who is married to Hatsue that is accused of the murder of his friend from his childhood Carl Heine. Kabuo thinks about what he has missed in life, the leaves changing, fall rains and his family as he is locked up and confused why he is there.

Before Hatsue met Kabuos, she grew up with Ishmael. The author portrayed romance and the ethnicities of English and Japanese lovers. Yet as years evolved Hatsue came to realize she did not truly love Ishmael when he asked her to marry him. She then left him when World War II happened and said goodbye to him.


I enjoyed David Guterson's writing style because of his descriptive words, how he always kept me intrigued and wanting to read more. I liked how he brought me back to the characters past, letting me understand their situations in life. One aspect I did not enjoy was how prolonged it took for me, to gain deep interest. I felt he could have drawn the mystery together earlier in order to captivate me. 


Overall, this book was favorable and I would recommend it to readers interested in events, which occurred in the World War II era.

No comments:

Post a Comment