Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Teacher Feature - Ms. Power

What do you most like to read?
novels, especially ones from other cultures or earlier times in history. Since I am not a particularly fast reader and I am so busy with work, I rarely indulge in reading one, because I know that if it's good I won't be able to put it down and I will neglect my other duties or skip sleeping. It's a huge treat to read a novel. I like to read them on planes especially; it makes the trip pleasant instead of onerous. Once I read "Into Thin Air" on a plane which was especially cool because the plane was flying at an elevation not much higher than Mt. Everest, where the story takes place. 

Do you have a favorite book/author/publication?
My two favorite novels are The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare and Jane Eyre. Magazine-wise, I regularly read Science News, National Wildlife, Muse, and Cricket, and occasionally Scientific American. 

What's the last great thing you read? A Thousand Splendid Suns 

Where do you most like to read? In the reclining chair in my living room 

When you were in high school, did you like to read? If so, what?
Yes, novels about people (especially kids) in other cultures and other times in history. (that hasn't changed) 

What is your most hated book and why?
I disliked Great Expectations (sorry, Holly) because, with the exception of the minor character Joe, there is no character in the book that I felt empathy for. I did not care what happened to any of them and that made the book boring to me. I can't relate to people who are lazy and unambitious (like Pip) or who don't want to move forward with their life (like the woman who still wears her wedding dress). I did at least finish the book so there are other books I hated more, but I cannot even remember their titles. In 3rd grade, I read all of the Nancy Drew series that existed at the time. Now they seem dreadfully badly written, but at the time they were exciting. 

I love libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment