Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Tolog Review: The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green
reviewed by Sarah Vega, class of 2015

 The Fault in Our Stars is the best, most heartbreaking, hilarious teen novel that I have read so far. This has been said countless times, in countless reviews, and you know what? In my opinion, they are one hundred percent true. Everyone who had read this book told me to get ready to "cry my heart heart out" and I was pretty skeptical at first. Well, now I step down and admit defeat. I was in tears for the last 60 pages of the book. Absolutely heart wrenching, but triumphant. I was captivated because it conveyed the emotions of the characters so intensely that I felt as if I was actually going through what they were enduring. Also, the profound and personal thoughts told by the characters sweep me away in love, broke my heart, and made me ecstatic in laughter. The subject of cancer (huge subject in this novel) in general is not an easy subject to write or read, but the author has written a lovely, touching and highly unique story with remarkable characters. In the midst of unfortunate circumstances, a beautiful love story and a story of the importance of treating everyday as a gift is told. The novel is essentially about two young lives, dealing with the affects of cancer and the fragility of life, but it is more than that ... It's quirky and interesting and full of metaphors and amusing conversations. Augustus and Hazel 's ( main characters of the novel) story will stay with me for a long time.

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars


If you enjoy teen books that relate to the reader and are full of insightful messages (ex. Catcher In The Rye, Perks of Being a Wallflower, etc) you will love this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment