Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Tolog Review: My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper
by Jodi Picoult
reviewed by Caitlin Bury  

If you had the chance to save your sister’s life and risk your own, would you?
My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult focuses on the Fitzgerald family, but mostly on one of their daughters, Anna. The Fitzgerald family consists of two parents, Brian and Sara, two daughters, Kate and Anna, and one son, Jesse. Kate is dying of leukemia and Anna is and has been her donor since the day she was born, thirteen years ago. In my opinion, there’s not much to tell about this family because their main focus is Kate. Their son Jesse is ignored about 99% of the time and is always getting into trouble with the law. Brian is a firefighter and Sara’s life revolves around her children, mostly Kate. Sara had asked Anna to donate one of her kidneys to Kate. Anna decides then that she would like to be medically emancipated from her parents, which means she will make the decisions for herself medically. Anna seeks help from a local lawyer, Campbell Alexander. Sara ends up representing herself and Brian in the case because she feels it would benefit Kate and would save her life. 


My Sister’s Keeper
is a book I would recommend for all ages even though there is some foul language. It was one of the best books I have ever read! When I read a book, I usually end up liking it even if I was having second thoughts when I first started reading it. Notice how I said liked -- I loved My Sister’s Keeper. From the first word I was hooked. In many ways this story can relate to my life. I have two parents, a brother, and an older sister. Even though my sister does not have cancer we still struggle with everyday problems that sisters share. On the other hand, you do not need to have a sister to relate to or love this book. It can be interpreted in so many different ways; it can connect to someone with cancer, with someone dealing with a struggling family, “normal” family, siblings, parents, an elder, and even someone like me, a 14 year old girl who can relate to the struggles of Anna’s everyday life.


If you liked The Fault in Our Stars, you’ll love this book! It includes elements of the same story but with more of a family feel to it. This book is also mixed with a hint of Frozen, with the same element of family, especially sisterly, love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment