Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Tolog Review: A Swift Pure Cry

A Swift Pure Cry
by Siobhan Dowd
reviewed by Jiyao Yang 

“It soared, a bird, it held its flight, a swift pure cry, soar silver orb it leaped serene, speeding, sustained…” The book, which I read these days is called A Swift Pure Cry by Siobhan Dowd, and I think I am definitely in love with this book, seriously. Not only because of the unique and touching story plots, but also the fascinating language of the sentences. This book is written based on a true story, which is about coming of the age in poverty, the heavy thoughts on a small town society, and how a teenager suffered the pain from loosing the loved one. With a fifteen years old girl Shell dealing with all the troubles and family struggles, who is the main character in this story, you probably will found yourself already crazily being attracted to this book.


It all started after Shell’s mother died, her life had a sharp turn, turned into something difficult and pessimistic. Her dad has given up work and turned his back on reality, leaving Shell to care for her younger brother and sister. She changed. She got bored of going to church, she even started to skip school regularly, sharing cigarettes, and making derisive and cheeky jokes with her friends …… When I was going through the lines, I could clearly feel the something like hot water flowing and wrapping my heart all around and melting it away… Yes, I was addicted to the words and sentences were used to describe the emotional story in the book. I also think that's one of the main reasons why this story is more unique than other teenage-life books. For the comments: “A brilliant and heartbreaking debut.”---Irish post. 


However, when a new young priest, Father Rose, showed up in that small community, everything mysteriously started to change, Shell felt like her mom and the spirit are returning to herself, it was keeping haunting her somehow in someway. I felt like the whole story started to shift, it seems like everything was going back to the way they suppose to be in since Father Rose tried to lead her and let her find the God in her life and live with it. Unfortunately things all happened sadly ……In my opinion, all of Shell’s courage and strength is needed to face the ordeal, in this magnificent and heartbreaking novel, inspiring us by a true story. “This is the first novel is amazingly poignant and memorable.”---KLIATT. I think my favorite words in the ending part were: “She stepped away from me; With one star awake; As the swan in the evening; Files over the lake…” it was a part lyrics of the song, which Shell really missed her mom and she does not what to let go. I did not know why, but when I read here, I felt the tears spinning on my eyeballs, and I felt the sadness of the moment when she really wanted her mom to stay. I was moved by that part.


Honestly, this story does not really have an optimistic ending, what I wanted to say is, from this book I learned a lot things I have not aware before. Such as how do I deal with family struggles or what actions should I take when I am dealing with serious problem that Shell had to go through or how should I grow up to be a stronger person in the future. This story makes me feel much connected somehow because she is the same age as us, and this kind of problem is actually happening to the people around me in my real life. I just wished everyone could read this heart-shaken book if there is a chance, because you are going to be so attracted to this teenage girl’s stories, and once you read, then you will learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment