Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Tolog Review: Deadline

Deadline
by Chris Crutcher
reviewed by Zhou Fang

Treasure Life, Don’t Waste It

What would you do if you found out that you only had one year left of your life? Deadline is a fantastic novel written by Chris Crutcher, which tells a story of a senior boy in high school who discovers that he has been diagnosed with a rare blood disease and has only one year left to live. If I were Ben Wolf, the main character of Deadline, I would probably freak out and have no idea how to deal with the upcoming death. However, Ben chooses to keep the secret and to make the most out of the time he has in his senior year in high school.


Ben shatters his comfort zones and tries almost everything that he used to be afraid of. He joins the football team even he has a short and skinny body, while he makes it to varsity. Ben also pushes himself to have the courage to talk to Dallas Suzuki, his crash for a long time. I feel surprised about how much Ben steps out and overcomes his fears. 


I love this novel for its fresh idea and the unpredictable plotting. In addition, I appreciate Chris’ sense of humor and his unorthodox metaphors and similes. Chris does a really great job making the readers think and reflect their own lives. Since Ben is a high school student, this novel applies better to young adults. The stories in the book happen in high school, which are much more familiar to us. I think it is indeed an educational book for teenagers. After reading the book, I realized how life is so precious. Therefore, we need to treasure our time to do something meaningful instead of wasting it. Instead of partying or taking drugs, teenagers can learn the real meaning of life and they might start to make their lives right. The today we fritter away now is the tomorrow that some people desire but can never reach. 


On the other hand, Chris makes a point that sometimes people should come out of their comfort zones and try new things. The opportunities in this world are limitless and we can always make our lives more productive. Chris makes feel more open to experience things that I have never had before. Moreover, whenever I want something but feel scared at the same time, Ben jumps out and encourages me to follow my heart and go after whatever I want bravely. When reading Deadline, Ben’s passion will have a way of affecting you, and you will become a more confident and positive person. 


Personally, I would recommend this novel to young adults as well as older readers who like modern fiction. I guarantee that you will find yourself reading Deadline non-stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment