Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Tolog Review: My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper
by Jodi Picoult
reviewed by Natalie Burnham

I never imagined that I would like books about cancer. My grandfather died from cancer, and my other grandfather and grandmother both have cancer, I assumed it wouldn’t quite be for me, as there were too many connections for me to handle. However, after reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, I was inspired to read more. So, I began My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult as a way to read more about cancer and people dealing with cancer. 

I honestly didn’t know what I was getting into. I knew there was a movie that was supposed to be great, but I had no clue that I would cry through about half of the novel, or feel so connected to any of the characters. The story, told through multiple points of view, follows a girl as she files a lawsuit against her parents. Anna Fitzgerald is a young girl whose body and blood is being used to help her sister in her battle against leukemia, but the donations are against Anna’s will. 


I think what I liked most about this book was how relatable the characters were. Whether it is Anna, and how sometimes we just want to get away from people and how controlling they can be. Whether it is Jesse, and how sometimes we need a way out and a way to feel noticed. Whether it is Julia, and how sometimes we can dwell on the past and not live in the now. Or whether it is Sara Fitzgerald, and how sometimes there is a fine line between what is actually right and what is right for us. All of the characters I felt a strong connection to, and I felt like that was a real way to get into the book.


What I didn’t like about the book, however, was Sara Fitzgerald. Mother of Jesse, Kate, and Anna, she was a central point in Anna’s case and she was also a mother who didn’t seem to care about neither Jesse nor Anna. Although Kate was sick and dying, Sara never noticed Anna or Jesse and seemed to have all her attention on Kate. I can understand why this is, as she was probably afraid that she would lose Kate physically, but what I don’t understand is that by only paying attention to Kate, she was losing her other two children.
I recommend this book to everyone. Although heart wrenching, this book is something everyone can connect to. If you like books such as The Fault in Our Stars, you’ll like My Sister’s Keeper. I think it’s just a book that anyone would enjoy, and I definitely recommend this book to anyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment