Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Tolog Review: Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why 
by Jay Asher
reviewed by Natalie Burnham 

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher is an echoing book. As in, it has been echoing in my head since the day I picked it up. Thirteen Reasons Why is a book that’s going down in my all-time favorite book list. The creepy tale follows a teenaged Clay Jensen as he receives tapes from Hannah Baker, explaining the reasons behind her suicide. 

This book will forever stay with me. I read it in a quick three days, but reread it after that a few times, just to let everything set in. It’s such a powerful theme-suicide, and the reasons behind it- but told in an unconventional way. The story doesn’t follow Hannah, as most suicide stories seem to do, but follows Clay. In a sense, the reader does see into Hannah’s mind, knowing her thoughts and ideas, but the reader looks through Clay’s mind, getting to see his reactions and thoughts about what Hannah talks about. The story isn’t predictable, and breaks down the barriers that rumors are everything. Hannah’s life completely changes because of rumors, and the reader sees what rumors can really do to people.


The only thing I could think while reading this book was “wow.” It’s so interesting, and kept me captivated. I couldn’t put it down! I would recommend this book to absolutely everyone, especially if you like books that are on the creepier side. If you like books that are about teenagers, and the problems they face, definitely read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

No comments:

Post a Comment